Tripod for Incense Charcoal
(this price is for the Tripod with a sample of gold foils and instructions for use)
Fine incense needs gentle heat to share its true scent. There are several ways to do this such as the Kodo Japanese method and also the Electric Incense Heater. Here is another way to heat fine incense woods and resins using charcoal, foil and a small circular wrought iron frame , we call a Charcoal Tripod.
This method works extremely well for Mermade Kyphi , resins and blends. It makes it possible to take fine incense anywhere.
To use the Tripod, wrap the metal frame with a piece of foil and place it over the charcoal disk or tablet. This keeps it slightly elevated above the coal and the direct heat .
You will be surprised at the difference a tiny space between the coal and the incense can make! Since they are very reasonable you can have several prepared for use.
This method can be used in any censer that can withstand the heat of a coal.
Our Foil Cups work great on the Tripod as well!
- Place sand and/or Ash in your censer or incense bowl . We recommend using sand on the bottom and then a layer of ash on top of the sand
- Light charcoal, we recommend doing this in a resin censer with a screen on it , but it can be done in one censer or incense bowl
- Wrap the circle of the Tripod with a piece of foil
- It helps to punch a few holes in the foil with a pin to let the coal breathe,
- Be sure that the charcoal is lit completely before placing the Tripod, this is very important. Placing too soon can extinguish the coal.
- Position the lit coal in your censer/bowl
- Place the Tripod over the coal so there is just a tiny bit space between the coal and foil
- Now you may place your incense on the foil. It may take a minute for it to begin to heat and release its scent. Kyphi will melt and then bubble slightly
- If you think more heat is needed simply push the Tripod down a bit with incense tool or tongs
- When you think the incense is complete, and the level of scent is achieved, lift the Tripod off the coal with your tongs, but usually the coal and the incense will expire together.
We reccomend using Incense Foils, Sand and Ash from Mermade with this Tripod. Our Resin Censer Set and Incense Tongs work very well with this method.